Interview Ian Woolf of Bridgerton & Criminal Minds

 Interview Ian Woolf Of Criminal Minds & Bridgerton


I got the opportunity to chat with Ian Woolf 1st Assistant Director and Unit Production Manager of Criminal Minds and Assistant Director of Bridgerton. Here's what he had to say.

Can you tell us a bit about yourself?

I grew up in North Jersey, went to Pompton Lakes High School, then one year at Emerson College in Boston, switching to New York University School of Film graduating in 1980.

How did you get into the industry?

I went to NYU Film School and graduated in 1980 and then took the DGA Trainee test thru the Directors Guild of America and became a DGA Trainee (apprentice assistant director) from 1982 to 1984.



(Ian Woolf) 

You have worked on many shows, from Xfiles, Angel and Criminal Minds, what was that experience like?

I always say it's not a job it's an adventure. As opposed to going to a desk job same place every day we are always experiencing new locations new people so it's very exciting and rewarding.



(Ian Woolf/Criminal Minds Cast)


You were the AD on Bridgerton, what was that experience like getting to work on a period drama?

It was a very challenging job as I came in one day before principal photography began with no prep (they had been prepping for 5 months) so imagine showing up every day on set and never having been there before! It was pretty intense.

What was your reaction to working on the most-watched show on Netflix, and are you on board for season 2?

I'm not doing Season 2 as I really haven't been a 1st AD in many years, I was doing Shondaland a favor by coming in and handling the first block. I'm currently Producing Black Mafia Family in Atlanta for STARZ and G-Unit Films.

What was your favorite part of working on Criminal Minds?

Being on the show 10 years and building that the family was my favorite part.

Favorite part of working on Bridgerton?

The locations were incredible, castles, palaces, the artwork...you're surrounded by all this amazing history and it's awe-inspiring.


(Ian Woolf/ Rege Jean Bridgerton)

You went from 1st AD to unit Production manager on Criminal minds what was that change of scenery like?

The toughest part of the move was letting go of my AD tendencies. Having to trust the AD's and not back seat driving.

What has been the highlight of your career?

The highlight for me was #1 meeting my wife in Mexico on the movie DUNE, 8 of us married Mexican women ( we were down there for just over a year) so that was the highlight for me...2nd up would be when I moved up to Line Producer....which is what I have always aimed to do.

How is it working through the pandemic, you're currently working on a new show as a line producer, Black Matha Family what are the challenges of it all?

Covid has changed the playing field enormously...it's very difficult and challenging to navigate this new world of covid monitors, testing, etc. The jury is still out at the moment on all of this.



Comments

Popular Posts