Interview Executive Producer Harry Bring


Interview With Executive Producer Harry Bring


Harry Bring is the Executive Producer of the hit CBS Crime Drama Criminal Minds, With the show coming to the end I took the opportunity to speak to him once again.


For those who aren't aware of what does, an Executive Producer do on set?



HB: It depends on the type of Exec Producer. Exec Producers are usually the top two Execs on the show. Number one would be the showrunner and/or creator. The number two exec is the backup creative producer who keeps things rolling and interacts with everyone. Although I am a Line Producer in charge of all production and day to day running of the production, the title of Exec Producer is not normally given out. ABC Studios awarded me this title for years of service and good results. Exec Producers are not on set normally unless they wrote the episode being shot or onset to solve a story problem. As a Line Producer, I’m not on the set as much as I would like because while filming goes on I am deep in prep on the next episode with the next director and writer.

You've been in the TV industry for many years now, how much has it changed over the years?

HB: The industry has changed so much since I first started working in production in 1964 as a production assistant. Back then there was usually only one PA on set doing everything. Now we have up to 7 PA’s onset as there are so many other needs and duties. The industry is pretty much the same as to departments and employees. There weren’t many visual effects if any so that might be the biggest change for me. There is so much more we can do using visual effects to enhance a shot or a scene. The crew size has grown significantly as the intricacies and nuances of filming have changed so much. I would say crew size has increased by 40% since 1964.



(Harry Bring)

You wrapped up working on Criminal Minds back in Spring, what were some of your fondest memories of working on the show?

HB: There are so many great memories and events it’s hard to pinpoint them all.
One thing for me is that I was able to be with the show for its 200th and 300th episode. Those were very big episodes and more involved than most. Working with Mark Hamill as the Replicator on S8 episode 24 was great. I got to have several chats with Mark and that episode was about as big as they get. Helicopters and Explosions. Season 7 Episode 24 was great. The bank explosion and aftermath had huge production challenges and came out great in the end. We shot all the exteriors for the city and bank on the Universal Studios backlot.

Were there any times when working on set when you had to think outside the box when it came to certain episodes?

HB: S8 episode 24 was the toughest. Using the Universal backlot took a lot of forward-thinking. We had to book the lot over a month in advance before we actually had a script.
It turned out fine and we guessed right. There are always several production companies needing to work on that back lot and everyone wants the lot at the same time.

Are we going to see our favorite recurring guest stars in the final episodes?

HBYou will see a few but I am not at liberty to say how many or what they are doing.



(Criminal Minds Cast and Crew)

I'm sure over the years you've gotten to meet lots of people is there any actors or actresses you were really excited to work with or meet?

 HB: Obviously meeting and spending time with Mark Hamill was special. We had a lot in common and when I learned his daughter Chelsea was attending the University of Southern California was had more in common. I worked with Ben Savage way back in 1988 on “Little Monsters" and we had a lot to catch up on. Working with Meshach Taylor and Bellamy Young was a real treat for me.

What has been your all-time favorite moment of your career? 


HB: It was when I was producing The Xfiles on the season 9 finale which was 2 hours. We shot in Borrego Springs California also known as the Badlands, We built the entire Hopi Indian village inside the mountain. Then we shot for days and at the end, we blew it all up with pyrotechnics. We also shot in Fresno California in a secret deep cave that went 5 stories down a mountain.  We flew the entire crew to both locations which are never done in television series work. It was a huge deal and a big success.  


What's next for you?


HB: I don't know as yet, I know I will do a Pilot for a new show starting in January. It may be with ABC Studios or 20th Century Fox. I'm hoping that Erica Messer's scripts get approved to the go-to camera and would hope to produce that one. I'm not into doing a series right now I'm trying to relax on work a bit. I haven't had any time off since Melrose Place in 1994. I might do a short-order series like 8 to 10, especially if it's done here in Los Angeles. I spent 8 years on location shows before CM and I want to stay home.


And final question a fun one


Can you describe each of the cast of Criminal Minds in a sentence?


HB: This is a tough one. 


Joe Mantegna: He is my benchmark for actors work-wise.


MGG: A wild and crazy man


AJ Cook: The sweetest on our team 


Kirsten: The Funniest 


Paget: The most diverse acting-wise 


Aisha: The Smartest about everything 


Adam: The Prankster 


Daniel: The Heartthrob 


HB: In closing, I know our fans will love this season and the ending episode is the bomb. 




(Criminal Minds Cast)

Don't miss the final ever season of Criminal Minds on Jan 8th 9/8c only on CBS for a two-hour premiere

The UK and the rest of the world date still unknown!

Comments

Popular Posts